EDEN IAS

IRRIGATION IN INDIA | GS ARTICLES

<ul>
<li style=”margin-left:8px”><span style=”font-size:11pt”><span style=”line-height:115%”><span style=”font-family:Calibri,sans-serif”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;”>Since the inception of the planning in our country irrigation has given top priority. Public have invested huge amount for expansion of irrigation.</span></span></span></span></li>
<li style=”margin-left:8px”><span style=”font-size:11pt”><span style=”line-height:115%”><span style=”font-family:Calibri,sans-serif”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;”>&nbsp;The consideration behind this is that the nation would benefit a lot from this expansion of irrigation. </span></span></span></span></li>
<li style=”margin-left:8px”><span style=”font-size:11pt”><span style=”line-height:115%”><span style=”font-family:Calibri,sans-serif”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;”>An irrigation schemes confers a number of benefits but direct and indirect on the nation.</span></span></span></span></li>
<li style=”margin-bottom:13px; margin-left:8px”><span style=”font-size:11pt”><span style=”line-height:115%”><span style=”font-family:Calibri,sans-serif”><span style=”background:white”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;”><span style=”color:#333333″>The key challenge facing the irrigation sector in India is the growing gap between Irrigation Potential Created (IPC) and Irrigation Potential Utilized (IPU), and uneven distribution of water over the length of the canal system,</span></span></span></span></span></span></li>
<li style=”margin-top:3px; margin-bottom:7px; margin-left:8px”><span style=”font-size:12pt”><span style=”background:white”><span style=”line-height:16.0pt”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif”><span style=”font-size:11.0pt”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;”><span style=”color:#333333″>About 80 per cent of the current water use is drawn by agriculture. Irrigated area accounts for nearly 48.8 per cent of the 140 million hectare (mha) of agricultural land in India. The remaining 51.2 per cent is rainfed.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></li>
<li style=”margin-top:3px; margin-bottom:7px; margin-left:8px”><span style=”font-size:12pt”><span style=”background:white”><span style=”line-height:16.0pt”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Times New Roman&quot;,serif”><span style=”font-size:11.0pt”><span style=”font-family:&quot;Cambria&quot;,&quot;serif&quot;”><span style=”color:#333333″>The increasing gap also impacts rainfed production in the country. The mean productivity of rainfed area (71.62 mha) is about 1.1 tonne per ha compared to 2.8 tonne per hectare of irrigated area. Thus this affects the cropping pattern of the country.</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></li>
</ul>

This will close in 0 seconds